Tuesday, June 14, 2005

moi in the hotseat 1

TECH INTERVIEW:

(The interviewer stands by the door and calls me in.
As I walk in he moves out.Shouts from outside
"take your seat".Speaks with somebody and then enters the
room

Pats me and extends his hand,introduces himself.
I reciprocate his gesture as immaculately as
possible.He moves across and takes his chair)

Takes my resume and the TCS questionnaire
that i had already filled.Moves straight to
the page where i had mentioned my interests
(both tech and otherwise)and my projects
and such stuff.My project was about
the stock markets and i had listed business
affairs as my interest.As luck would hav it,
he shared my passion.


TCS guy:So do you buy shares?
me : not exactly, my father does.
I help him
TCS guy:So you can play around with your fathers money
(smiles)
me:(smiles) sort of
TCS guy:thats actually the right thing to do.when you start working,
You will not make enough money to afford mistakes.

TCS guy:recommend a few stocks
me:how much money do you have
TCS guy:my pay is on the lower side,so lets say
i have managed to save 20000
me: if u want to buy large cap
go for infosys,TCS in the IT sector.
JET AIRWAYS,biocon ,bajaj auto .....
depending on your preferences.I also reasoned
why these stocks are good atleast for the medium term..
used a lot of jargons.He was pretty impressed

TCS guy:What about midcap

me:hdfc bank,eveready industries,SCI,elgi.........
added a few other names..threw lots of fundae.
TCS guy: what about ipcl, waste??
me:speaks for quite some time..basically
tell him whatever i know about the global oil prices
and very politely tell him iam not interested in the
petrochem sector.

TCS guy: (looks at the paper that i had listed)
4-5 people who came before you, had the same thing.
me: explains.basically confuse him saying it was
a team effort .Lot of people had presented it at various
colleges..

TCS guy:do u have certificates??

me: extend the entire folder to him..
TCS guy:takes a lot of time chacking everything..
occasionally turned to me ,to find out the college
which hosts a particular event.
(At this point, his mobile phone rings, he cuts the call..
but the caller was persistent.so the interviewer,
said write something about the waterfall model, and leaves
to attend the call)

me:the moment he enters, start talking.
requirement specification-meet the client,understand
his needs..........then analysis...........
design.........coding........
testing and maintenance................
(spoke for a long time , told him whatever i knew,
left the details of cost estimation and testing)

TCS guy: explain the different testing methods??
me:black box,white box,regression ,smoke,
stress, performance....................

TCS guy: c program for fibonacci series??
(He had asked the same question to
the guy who was in when i was asked to wait
outside the room.once he came outside ,
he said he had not written the code for fibonacci
series well..rathinam, the guy who was next inline,
and waiting with me ,took a piece of paper
and wrote a few lines..I glanced through it)

me:(blesses rathinam)starts writing something..
I use a lot of comments,printf ,scanf statements
around the few lines that i had earlier glanced.

TCS guy: explain the code

me:(Thanks all the gods)blah blah blah.........

TCS guy: differentiate between c++ and java??
me: Not comfortable with java
TCS guy:what comes to your mind ,when i say java
me:coffee
TCS guy:laughs
TCS guy:ok differentiate c and c++
me:uses 2 minutes
TCS guy:what are the seven osi layers
me:(thanks rathinam once again)
PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH STEVES PET ALLIGATOR
writes P D N T S P A
vertically

TCS guy: laughs
TCS guy: do u have any questions
me:no
me:nice speaking to you

(extend my hand ,thank him and walk out)

If my technical skills baffle you,
do forgive me..thats how prepared I was.
Never really thought i would clear the tech interview.
But was lucky ,the guy who interviewed me had the
same kind of interests.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home