Wednesday, June 15, 2005

moi in the hotseat 2

HR INTERVIEW

I had to wait for nearly 3 hours..
In the meantime ,names of people who had their
tech interview with me were called.People
who took their tech interview much later than
me ,walked out of their HR interviews.So i was
worried if TCS has done the right thing by
throwing me away..

Meanwhile, one panel focussed a lot
on the history of sware firms,stock details of
TCS,the way sware companies operate..I was praying
for an opportunity to go to that panel.

After sometime ,it was my turn..
and horror of horrors, the interviewer was
a lady..The HR interview was the exact opposite
of the tech interview.No introductions..no handshakes
(Not that i was willing to extend my hand anyway)

THE LADY: introduce yourself
ME :blah blah blah
(i completed my intro with my interests)
THE LADY:so what was the last book you read??
ME :favorite author is jeffrey archer.
read the prison diary.talked about
his experiences.
THE LADY:Any other book of his
ME :apart from his short stories,
i guess i have read everything..
but i like the fourth estate and kane and abel.
(luckily for me, the lady had read the fourth estate)
THE LADY:names of the two main characters??
ME : tells her
THE LADY:who do you think is better??
ME :dont want to differentiate between the two.
i feel both the protaganists are equally
good..Tells the reasons
THE LADY:opinion about tcs
ME : speaks for 3-4 mins about tcs
(she served coffeee)
THE LADY:do u mind if i have coffee??
ME :nooooo
THE LADY:you take these biscuits..pushes
a plate of good day biscuits..
ME :(the offer was tempting..but
i dont accept favours from unknown ladies)
so no thanks
THE LADY:what do u think about tcs' business?
(takes her coffee)
ME :talks for quite sometime..she still
with the coffee..so moved onto
their clients..top executives..
(shows some interest)I talk about
how TCS calculates its revenues...
and how to a stock market analyst or
a common investor, the model they prefer,
is not suitable..
(she asked me to repeat this twice)
talked about this in vivid detail..
quoted s.ramadorai extensively..
said how as an investor, am not too happy
with the model they use( the model they use
is good if you take a long term view..but for
Quarter to Quarter numbers its not advisable)..
Explained how as someone who understands the
functioning of an IT company, i can see the
wisdom in TCS' model..said a few years down the line
my father's belief in TCS will pay rich dividends..
(I used a lot of time to compare TCS with infy and wipro
entirely in the perspective of how they calculate their revenues..
am not sure ,if that was good ..people in the know ,please advise...
got carried away a bit)

THE LADY:have you been to the TCS website??
ME :yeah
THE LADY:what new info did you get
ME :(couldnot believe this)talks for a lot of time..
use a lot of names of people,of products,of policies....

THE LADY:your marks are pretty low
ME :curses everybody silently
THE LADY:i cant believe ,i have wasted time with you(throws my resume)
ME :laughs
THE LADY:utters some profanities( not too bad actually,but
when quoted here, will spoil the sanctity of my blog)
ME :Laughs
THE LADY:asks for my position in the class
ME :Uttered a number that was close to my
position, bottom up....
guess she took it the other way
THE LADY:any questions??
ME :(wanted to ask ,if the offer for the good days
still valid....but didnot get to that)
no
ME :thank you

1 Comments:

Blogger A Doosra Perspective said...

hope tcs be global top10 by 2010.
books really helped u in the interview.
your technical skills does not baffle me, after all we are like this

July 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home