Saturday, June 25, 2005

A tea drinkers guide to the galaxy and beyond

I have spent more than a dozen years in an entirely
different part of madurai and over the years i had developed
the habit of consuming large amounts of tea.After a dozen years,
i knew the right places that serve tea the way it should be served.
It was a painstaking process,whenever i was out(which was practically
all the time)i used to visit a teashop.After a few years,no tea stall
existed in that part of madurai,that has not had me as a customer.
To give a quantitative perspective that region had more than a hajaar
tea stalls.At the end of it all, i had identified a few places
and i wud go there practically every hour.

Sadly, i had to relocate and i had to start the process all
over again.After nearly a month here, i have found a set of
places..Actually ,the scope extends to nearly two kilometres
in either direction from my house i.e from TCE on one end
to maapillai vinayagar on the other.

I will traverse from TCE through to maapillai vinayagar....

First on my list is the list is the shop right in front of
TCE.There are 3 or 4 shops that dot the road.But this is the one
that attracts students.The tea served here is kind of OK.The
place also offers a few other items .Iam not sure about their
names.Suffice to say that these items are made of egg and they
taste good.


My second choice is aarthi drive in..been here a few times
but had tea only once.They serve tea in metallic cup
n saucers.I have never seen a metal cup n saucer in use
anywhere before.The tea tastes good,but this is not a place
where you go just for your customary cup of tea.go here,
if u want to have grub and then follow it up
with tea.

I am very fond of tea from vending machines.Madurai
is not very heavy on vending machines.But i have found 2 places
that make use of tata kaapi vending machines.


One is a shop attached to a petrol bunk.If u are going from TCE to
palanganatham,you will find numerous petrol bunks but this is the
second (of only two) on your right.The place also has a sify iway.

Next is a place called 'my madurai',adjacent to TVS LAKSHMI..
Its a fast food joint,not very hippie though.

Tea from the tata kaapi vending machine is very gud..But tastes
a bit too sweeter.

There are lots of places along the bypass road, that serve 'OK' tea..
But today i found a place that serves good tea.I was searching for a shop
that sells business today and horror of horrors there wasnot one place near
palanganatham that sells english magazines..My quest took me to
bye pass road and there was not one shop that sells decent mags in the main road..
So i ventured into the side roads.I was directed to S S COLONY, north gate..
people said there are 2 shops there that sell all kinds of journals..

The search ended at a hotel called gowri annexe.I bought BT and
decided to put my taste buds to test .The tea was great.
Thats the power of serendipity..My search for BT ended with my finding a gud
teashop.

At the end of the day ,I know where to go for my next issue of
BT..and as an added delight i get a gud cup of tea tooooo


PS-none of the shops mentioned above serve tea the same way..
the 5 shops sell tea at 5 different prices-:)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey u should protest
for CAFE TEA DAY jus like CAFE COFFE DAY anyways we will have tea in a
anna kadi wid cakes

July 05, 2005  
Blogger A Doosra Perspective said...

calculus
you are the who knows madurai in and out.
chai stop are part of life, since we are the largest producers & consumers of tea

July 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home